1960 turn signal cancel cam

--- "Chris Bray (Bray's Auto Body)" <braysautobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Did they have a linkage or something linked to the steering column to
> cancel
> out the blinker switch?

Yes.

>Mine doesn't cancel out, and it doesn't seem possible that Imperial would
>overlook that.  Any ideas?

There is a cam on the steering rod that the steering wheel turns inside
the steering column.  I took mine apart on the way to my steering box and
did not reassemble in the proper order.  There are some washers and shims
in the assembly.  If you take your steering wheel off, lay your pieces out
in the order that they come off or take notes or something.

It was so much work, that I just skipped doing a second dis-assembly and
did manual cancellation after that till I sold the car.  The FSM pictures
are not as detailed as possible if memory serves.  All I know is that I
got myself confused (easy to do in my case) and was unable to easily
figure out what I had mis-inserted.

------

For those of you that read most messages, there was a quip about current
vehicles being disposable.  If the changing fashions of 55-75 weren't
conspicuous consumption and stylistic dating of cars, I don't know what
is.  Although they are built to last, I think that all of the metal was
used because they just didn't know a better way, and plastic wasn't as
easy to work with as it is today.  The Japanese sure showed Detroit a
thing or two about engineering and car design, for better or worse - the
market proves that.

Finned cars were shunned as outdated and garish 5 years after that styling
fad went away.  The was a form of cheap construction in comparison to
today's 4-7 year plus life cycle of some cars' styling (crown victoria,
anyone).  Now that they're scarce, everyone loves 'em, but....

I'd say that it's human nature to make things disposable, and that
Imperials are no exception, being items of conspicuous consumption, even
if they did manage to be designed with us here in 2003 in mind regarding
resurrection.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area