plastic and rust

>Plastic may not rust, but how easy is it going to be to find replacement
>parts for these cars in the next thirty years? The difference is, that the
>cars produced in the fifties and sixties were built to last, or at least
>built to be restorable. If my little Nissan makes it through another ten
>years, it will be very lucky. We have evolved into a disposable society, and
>it is even built into our cars. The thin sheet metal and plastic will not
>hold up like our old Imperials.

=============

I remember, in the 60's and 70's, looking at cars which were approaching 10
years old, and I remember that almost all of them were rust-buckets.  It
was almost axiomatic that once a car got to be 10 years old, it was
junk.  I suppose that I was hanging around with a crowd, then, which
couldn't afford a decent car, so maybe my memory is only of junkers.  I
sure couldn't afford a nice car then.

Anyway, it seems that cars today resist rust more than older cars.  That's
my impression.

Alan Harper
64 Mercury 3/4 ton flatbed
69 Dodge D100 pickup