Carburetor from so so to worse

First of all Dick, I want to thank you for your guidance through my carburetor woes. I am pretty determined to work this thing out. I have printed your reply, and will take a new approach tomorrow. Today when I went to start it, it was very difficult, and once it did start, it rapidly bogged out. I found that the choke rod coming out of the block had become disengaged from it's connection. I got it reconnected, did some adjustments, and found the car was running very rough again, and back to the loss of power. I think my problem is in the throttle area somewhere, and the transmission kick down as you mentioned, since when I floor it the gears do not change. I keep telling the car, c'mon baby give your daddy a Christmas present.
Bill '59 Crown