Myths..auto that is.

7. You can weld a gas tank..just fill it with water. NOT!

Water does not work too well because you can still have a few droplets of gasoline inside, and in any case the inner tank surface will have a gasoline film that persists.

I have flame welded or brazed gas tanks lots of times.  I use the official US Army procedure to do it safely.

After draining the tank and blowing it dry, connect the inlet of the tank to the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle.  The vehicle must be running at normal temperature - do not connect  anything until the exhaust is hot.  A diesel is best but a gasoline engine is OK, too, if the engine is running properly.  Let the hot exhaust gases waft thru the tank for a suitable period of time.  The warm, oxygen depleted gases help evaporate any gasoline left inside.

After a good purge, you are good to go.

Don't try this at home if you are in any way unsure about your skills or this technique.

John