Not firing

From: "Niko and Sophie" <niknsop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Not  Firing
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:51:53 -0700
  After fifty miles of fine driving,i parked the car . A few hours later  it
woudnt start.There is not spark at the spark plugs.The following checked
okay: Distributor,points ,rotor&cup,ignition coil and battery.Any ideas will
be greatly appreciated.

The same thing happened to me in my 64 the other week.
Turned out that the capacitator (small cyclinder
bolted on by one of the coil mounting bolts and wired
to the coil) shorted out internally and shut down the
car.  .....
..... voltmeter.  I think its only purpose is to supress
electrical interference with radio reception.  Thus,
by disconnecting it, the car may fire up.

-------------------------

Hi,

I vote also for the radio noise suppression capacitor.  I had one go bad on my 1979 Dodge Magnum, and it took a LONG time to figure it out.  I even had a dealer service guy make a HOUSE call.

He ended up finding it as I cranked the engine and he saw smoke coming off of the capacitor.  Externally it showed no trace of a problem (has a metal case).

It's either that, or try changing the ballst resistor.  We had a 1969 Dodge Coronet and that's what was wrong with it.  My dad used to keep a spare one handy as he had one or two go bad.  The engine will crank but not start.

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY, USA
Imp1983@xxxxxxx

83 Imp, beige, leather,