Valve Cover gasket problems/heat shield

This is great info, and I'll look into it.  Too bad that I
spent 4 hours putting in a new DS exhaust gasket sunday
that does not have this feature.   At least I know my way
around in there, so it should be easier.

-Kenyon

--- ImpSvcs@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>        I went to the dealer today to look at the "factory
> fix" for cooked
> valve cover gaskets.  It is essentially a replacement
> type exhaust manifold
> gasket (the ones with a perforated aluminum face backed
> with gasket material)
> with a shield of the same material that extends up 2- 2
> 1/2".  The shield is
> limited to the area between the inner studs on the
> exhaust ports.
>
>        The gaskets were originally intended for motor
> home use when the
> "hi-temp" orange gaskets failed to cure the problem.
>
>        The gaskets run around $4.50 each.  Visually,
> they're not very
> appealing, but if you don't show your engine compartment
> often, it may be a
> viable fix.
>
>        One other item of concern... the package was
> labeled "Contains
> Asbestos Fibers".  The back (insulation side) is a
> typical exhaust
> gasket-type material, with the usual "dusty" feel for
> this type of gasket.
> Given the warning on the package, one can only assume
> that some of this
> residue is friable asbestos fiber.  One would also assume
> that since these
> gaskets are for sale in 2002, that the asbestos is not of
> a hazardous type...
> although I'm not sure that the non-hazardous types make
> good insulators...  I
> know we lived with this stuff for years, but I have
> personally shut down
> entire assembly lines because of torn pipe insulation in
> a plant - I'd hate
> to see a New England or California member have these
> discovered on his car,
> and have to pay for abatement... just something that
> bears checking into
> before plopping down your 9 bucks.
>
>        I've been away from Asbestos issues for a couple
> years... anybody have
> more current info?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Charette
> Imperial Services
> www.imperialservices.net

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area