Leaky valve cover gaskets on Imperial Margarine

Leaky valve cover gaskets on Imperial Margarine

Dear Abbey

I just came out of the IML/OIC Archives.  What a great
compilation of info!  It does not appear to focus too
deeply on my problem - sealing my 440 valve covers
properly.

I have a 1973 that weeps oil when parked so that if the car
sits for more than a few hours, the oil gets down onto the
exhaust manifold and then burns off when the engine gets
hot.  I bought cork gaskets.  They did not work better and
didn't want to come off without a wire wheel later (YUK).
I went to some really neat-o premium thick black rubber
ones with pictures of drag cars on the package.  I remember
being grouchy about the price, so they were "good" ones and
they worked for a little while, but now we're back to the
same old thing.

I cleaned the heck out of the metal surfaces and don't
think that the metal covers are warped from overtightening
or anything.  The leaks come from between the two bolts
above the exh. manifold that are pretty widely spaced.

It seems to me that this should be simpler and more
permanent.  Am I missing something?

One guy in the Archives used weatherstripping adhesive when
assembling.  Is "goo" to seal pores the next logical step?

-Leakey in San Leandro