Checking vacuum operated valves (Was: Auto-Temp help needed)

Checking vacuum operated valves (Was: Auto-Temp help needed)

I don't know how to reply to a specific message in a digest, all messages have the same (imperial club) address on them.  Oh well, this is for Dick Benjamin who was good enough to reply to my question about vacuum valve testing.  There are four "vacuum check valves" in the 1968-etc. Auto Temp system.  It would be nice if they were simple in and out valves as you describe.  Actually, there is one valve with three hoses connected to it, and three valves with four hoses.  The hose connections are arranged with two on one side and two on the other, except for the "odd fellow", one of his is missing. I have not had experience with check valves with more than two ports.  Each valve has an arrow on it which points perpendicular to the hose connections.  Perhaps I need to remove each valve from the system and experiment until I can determine that one of the ports is where the vacuum source connects, and the others should trap vacuum if the source is removed?  Please advise.

Thanks, Dennis