Windshield wipers broke!

This is a common failure with these cars. The somewhat goofy looking coupler
that connects the wiper motor to the relay links has come apart due to
failure of the plastic part which holds it all together.  These are
fortunately still available at your friendly local Chrysler dealer, because
the parts are apparently used on many years and models of cars.

The parts are easy to change, and require no disassembly other than to
remove the wiper arms from the stanchions, then open the hood and remove the
plastic bug/leaf inlet grilles over the air plenum in front of the
windshield.  You must use extreme care with these 20 year old plastic parts,
as they are brittle and will break at the slightest insult.  This caution
applies to the windshield washer hose "tee" and couplers also!

Once you have the grilles off, you'll feel a nut (I think it's 3/8") at the
end of the wiper motor shaft - you can't see it unless you are over 8 feet
tall with the upper 3 feet of that as neck, and can swivel your head 180
degrees.  But you can easily feel it, and undo the nut.  Be sure you don't
drop it down into the air plenum!!!

You'll also have to remove the other end of the relay arm/link because that
whole assembly is spared as a unit.  The three screws that hold the wiper
stanchions are obvious, so this part is not tough at all.  Be sure to note
exactly how the arms are arranged, there seem to be at least 17 different
ways to put this complicated linkage assembly together, and 16 of them will
break the new part immediately.  (Please don't ask how I know that.  Thank
you.)

The part number is in the IML archives, but if you can't find it e-mail me
and I'll dig out my parts book and look it up for you. Also, the dealer
should have the part in stock (it seems to me it ends in something like
"3599" and costs around $40).   If you look in his illustrated parts book,
you should spot it easily, or you can take in your old part and show it to
him.

Glad your car is running better now.

Dick Benjamin