6 volt vs 12 volt

I have a modern type 320 Cu in V8 with quite high compression (9 to 1, I
think) in my 55 Hudson Hornet Hollywood, with a 6 volt system , in a car
with power windows, AC and all the other modern electrical conveniences
available in luxury cars of that era.  I have a group 2 battery, with 2-0
cables, and I have never had any difficulty starting in any weather (we've
driven the car over 30,000 miles in the last 14 years, in temperatures well
above 100 degrees many times, AC going full blast), and the starter spins
the engine at about the same RPM as the starter in my 12 volt Packards,
which use the same engine (though the Packards have the 352 or 374 Cu In
version of the engine).

 I also drive 48 and 47 Packards, and until recently a 54 Packard, all
straight 8, with engines of 356 or 359 Cu in, and the latter with
compression ratios near 9 to 1, and all of those cars have 2-0 battery
cables and high CCA batteries, and all of them start immediately in any
weather or circumstance, so I am satisfied that a well maintained car with
the proper battery and cables is just as reliable as a 12 volt car, although
I do admit that the 12 volt car is much more tolerant of poor maintenance
and less than optimum cables etc.

For completeness, I should point out that the older cars (47,48) use a gear
reduction starter, so it is indeed true that they crank quite slowly, often
giving the impression that they are having difficulty starting.  In fact,
the opposite is the case, as the gear reduction reduces the load on the
starter armature considerably, allowing much longer cranking time before the
starter overheats.

Dick Benjamin