Budget smoke reduction

James. the compression test will tell for sure, but it sounds like your
engine is fine, and the oil valve stem seals are going bad.  The hot
weather is hard on these old seals.  When cooler weather sets in, there is
a chance your smoke problem will diminish.   One of my 68's has blown stem
seals, and it smokes at startup.  In the summer, the problem is far worse.
D^2