Restoring Steering Wheel

check out Eastwood (.com?) they have a steering wheel
repair kit that has a bunch of junk in it that you do
yourself.  They also sell the same resin/putty that you get
in the kit for much less, and I can get my own rubber
gloves for $0.28.

There was a competior that Marc Lamp mentioned as being
difficult to work with, too, so doing it your self might
not be a big deal.  The stuff is sandable and then you
paint the wheel.  This can't be rocket science unless a new
mold is made and the plastic reformed on a wheel that has
had the old plastic chipped off.  I bet that any places
that do it for you only fill, grind, and paint - you might
want to ask what you are paying someone to do before
skipping the DIY solutions....

-Kenyon