Door lock '56 Sedan

Help!  My upholstery man was working on replacing the seat cushion (old
stuff crumbling like mad).  The door driver door closed on him at one point,
and he/we have not been able to open it from inside nor outside!!  Finally
got the door panel off, found a piece of metal about 1 1/2" long, maybe 1/2"
wide, about 1/16" thick, at the bottom of the door, but can't find where it
should go, if that is the problem.  We took off the right door panel, and
can't seem to find where that metal piece would go.  Any ideas??  I need to
drive this car tomorrow morning (Pacific Time) for another fix-up job.
Thanks for your help.

Tony
'56 4 door sedan