440 - a death knell?

Hello,

When I went to change the air filter in my 76 NYB this evening, I
noticed a little pool of oil sitting in the air cleaner housing, by the
valve cover vent.  Something tells me that this is not a good thing.
The car has been a little smoky lately, really only noticeable after
warm starts (there really isn't much smoke at all on cold starts) and
has been consuming more oil than usual.  Is this the car's semi-polite
way of asking for an engine rebuild?  I hope not since I can't afford an
engine rebuild right now and would have to consider selling the car.

Thanks,
James