Chrysler Imperial

Roger and list,

May I respectfully submit the prospect that some of actually do care whether
it was a make or a model? It's not that either one makes one's personal
choice in cars lesser or greater... all Imperials are indeed special. But
things like this matter purely as a point of interest... they're not worth
getting upset over. Details are what makes history interesting to some of
us.

Leaving off brand badges does not make a model into a make. I'm not sure
where there is proof of what the Fed thought about it, but I do know that,
for example, Honda hasn't put their name (only the H logo) on their cars
since 1993, and Civic did not become a brand as a result. There was no
Imperial Division before 1955 or after 1975, and the 1981 models were
introduced and marketed as Chrysler Imperials. A person bought a 1967 model
from a Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealer. The logo on the Monroney label was
just like the three-tier dealer signage that said
Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial, and next to it on the label are the words
"Imperial Division." In 1981, the Monroney said "Chrysler-Plymouth Division"
and the logo thereon said Chrysler-Plymouth.

For the record, I choose to use phrases like "I believe" and "to the best of
my knowledge" and "I can only imagine" simply to qualify that I, like
everyone on this list, am an amateur authority: one who has gathered
information over the course of life and who enjoys sharing it in a friendly
way. So much of what gets put out on websites and Internet mailing lists
gets spoken like gospel, and as a society we seem gullible to misinformation
when it is spoken with an authoritative tone. Bill's analysis, like most of
his contributions to this community, was indeed well-spoken and based in his
extensive knowledge, but his choice not to qualify his words is simply his
choice, and I respect that.

In that specific reference, I doubt there is anyone on this list who knows
exactly WHY Chrysler (Corp) would have used a different second-place digit
for Imperials versus all other Chryslers. I merely offered some thoughts on
the WHY part, and felt I owed the list the qualification I added.

Aside from all that, is there any reason people on this list cannot carry
one a friendly sharing of knowledge (also known as a conversation) without
comments like "who gives two hoots?" or the little dig on the '67s?

Chris in LA