Imperials & other older motorcars

I still think of myself as a young man, but this thread makes me realize
there is a whole new generation who was not yet born when the cars of
the '70's were produced.  When my father died I was 13 years old, and
remember thinking how sad it was that he would not be around to see the
new cars each year.  By that time Detroit was pumping out the crap of
the mid to later '70's, and I won't even motion the unmentionable '80's
cars. The first oil embargo was in full swing, gas lines were blocks
long, and you could only get $5.00 worth at a time.  I also remember how
people complained about the cars of the later '60's and new '70's models
were built like crap and would never last like the cars from the "old
days when they were built to last".  The term "Planed Obsolescence
People traded in there cars every 3 years or so, they did not fiancé a
car longer then 3 years back then, and they were problematic.  Back in
'65 California became the first state to mandate "Clean Air" gizmo's on
cars sold there.  My '66 Crown Convertible has the window sticker and my
car has the "California Clean Air" option.  In '68 all cars had started
emission controls of a Smog Pump nature, and starting in '71 engine
compression dropped, '72 dropped further, cars were still big, heavy,
and now gutless.  In '75 with mandatory Catalytic Converters,
decompressed engines that just made a noise like blowing through a straw
when stepped on, the fun was over.  Downsizing really started in '76
with GM the Nova, '77 Full size cars, '78 Cutlass etc..  Ford was a
little behind, but since a Ford is just a Ford, it is not even worth
discussing.  Chrysler was very slow to respond, hence it's problems and
near collapse by the late '70's.  Imagine if you will, a new '78
Aspen/Volare factory delivered with a whopping 85 horsepower!!  WooWoo!
Worse yet was the Corvette in '79 with a pulse stopping 160 horses!
Cadillac in '81 had the brains to bring out the V-8,6,4.  Try to
remember the awful fit & finish of ALL American cars at that time,
leaks, squeaks, I think you get the message.

My point is that opinions have not really changed as the years go on,
and the only reason cars are better today in the U.S. is because the
Japanese started kicking our ass with their small, efficient, well built
cars.  I won't own one personally, especially since the comment by their
head of State several years ago that Americans were now fat, lazy
workers.  I don't buy it.  American car manufactures can't compete with
foreign makers due to the high cost of labor in the U.S., hence many
cars are made in Canada, Mexico, etc...  Foreign makers can pack more
into their cars for the same price, or even a bit more, and they sell
like hotcakes.

I have owned Imperials now for the last 9 years, my '66 is now garaged
with 85K miles on it, and I drive a '97 Caddy with the Northstar V-8.
It does not ride as smooth, but it hauls ass.  It needs more real
chrome, but alas, those days are over.  I don't know what people will do
in 30 years when the computer chip goes bad on the cars engine computer,
but I'm quite sure Hemmings will have many an ad for "Classic" '97
Caddy, Chrysler, Ford computer chips.

Forgive me that I mentioned other car makes, but to make the point it
was necessary.

Bill Ulman
'66 Crown Conv.

________________________________Original portion of
message_________________________________________________________________

Cars today might have better brakes, better suspension, and electrics
compared to older cars, but they don't have something the old cars have:
personality.

Have you taken a look at the cars being made today?  They all look
alike! I think that's why people are moving towards cars like the PT
Cruiser the New Beetle, and the Mini.  There's no way anyone could
mistake any of those cars for a Honda/Toyota/Taurus.  The problem is,
everyone has them now. Furthermore, cars are exactly like people, as it
takes time to develop a personality.  Since most new cars aren't built
to last more than 5 years before they're traded in, it's a lot harder
now for a car to develop a
personality.   Furthermore, when you drive an Imperial (or Plymouth, or
Packard, or anything made before 1974) down the road EVERYONE knows it's
an Imperial, and will never confuse it with a Toyota.  And I won't even
go into how expensive an alternator for a 98 Accord is compared to a 69
Fury.