1982 Transmission identification

Subject: Re: IML: 1982 Transmission identification

The TIN is located on the right side, in front of and slightly above the oil
level piping; the serial number is on the left side, on the flange above the
oil pan, in a boss on the casting. The TIN number might be something like
CR130383, the last eight characters of the car serial number. The EFI
Imperials were somewhat different than the other car lines in that they had
a Lock-Up Torque Convertor just for it. These are sometimes identifiable by
removing the small plate in the bottom front of the bell housing and spin
the engine until you can read the letters and numbers. These transmissions
are equipped with an Imperial "Wide Ratio" set-up of the A-999 or A-904
family, they were built in Kokomo, Indiana and the last eight characters of
the serial number are the build date and sequence number......Bob Harris