Speedometer Problems

   I finally took the time this weekend to work on my 61. I had the
instrument cluster out and managed to get all the electrolumecent gauges
working except for the part that lights the transmission selector
buttons. The repairs mostly consisted of soldering a few tiny wires that
supply power to the gauge needles. My speedometer is not working also,
the cable and speedometer head are ok but I have a problem at the
transmission end of the cable.
      I need to replace the part that goes into the tranny. I think maybe
the square hole is rounded or maybe there is a pinion or something inside
that needs repacing inside. There is a large nut on the side of the
tranny but I did not have socket big enough to remove it. Does anyone
know what size tool I need to remove this thing? What part do I ask for?
Is it sold as an assembly and are new cables available?

Frank