Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 7:54 PM
Subject: IML: Phenolic spacers

Jerry,
       Phenolic spacers are a carb spacer made of a dimensionally stable material formed with layers of fabric, and a synthetic (Phenolic) resin.  It's chemical, oil, and heat resistant, which makes it a perfect material for insulating your carb from the heat of the engine.

       I also read a members comment about putting fiberglass house insulation under the intake... I remember seeing all those foil packs of insulation under the intakes of cars I had when I was younger (haven't had to tear that deep into the Imperials yet!).  Any idea where those foil packs can be had??

       Anyway, phenolic spacers (avoid the aluminum, as mentioned) are widely available at most any speed shop.  They can also be special ordered from Dalmac Products in Detroit (248/280-1755) in any configuration you can imagine (they do specials as well).  I've heard of people making their own from plywood, but it has to be sealed carefully to avoid leaning things out unintentionally.  I've also seen spacers in ABS, but I'm not sure about the dimensional stability at elevated temperatures.

       I was under the hood of my neighbor's 360 powered A-Body today and got a painful reminder of too-hot-to-touch accelerator linkage.  It's gonna be a long hot summer, folks.

       Going to look for the Dura-Cool web site... :)

Steve Charette