aluminum intake heat conductivity and duracool

aluminum intake heat conductivity and duracool

Aluminum intakes may have more heat conductivity, but they are also going
to lose that heat faster , especially if the problem is when you shut down.
The edelbrock dual plane on the 440 in my charger doesnt have any problem at
all with this phenomenon, its actually much cooler after the engine has sat
for awhile than the cast iron one ever was.

If the problem is one of heat soak, especially on shut down, then the
insulation material that the factory used between the intake and valley pan
should be there ( it was on the archives whether that was for heat or
vibration purposes, Ill skip that argument today ), as would the phenolic
carb spacer.

Regarding duracool or the other propane based refrigerants, a buddy of mine
and I bought a case of duracool. It was the minimum quantity we could get at
the time, this was 3 years or so ago.  We did one of my cars and one of his,
and have had no problems with the product so far.  We did get new hoses,
though not for flammability reasons, but because the old ones were
questionable.  I dont recall the exact proportion, but it takes about half
the refrigerant that the original system used.

This has been done to death ( no pun intended ) and while years ago  I did
get the required EPA card and all that associated bs to be able to continue
to do refrigeration, I have not been in a shop situation where we have to
worry about it.  For my own stuff...Ill take the risk,  since I feel it is
minimal at best.

Were I working with a customers car and the liability and such, in todays
society...Ill be a coward and stay with whatever the "rules " require.  Call
it hypocritical if you want,  I dont care.  There is a ton and then some of
pertinent info on refrigeration and the products with it on the net now, the
best I can say is to read it for yourself , ignore the urban legends and
wives tales and make a good informed decision of your own.

take care everyone

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe