Changing belts on 81-83

From: "Rob P" <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: another stupid 81-83? belt tension
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:10:52 -0400
I changed my water pump, not too bad only took 3 weeks ;)
Now the problem.  Can't figure out how to tension the p/s & air pump belts.
Altenator was no problem.  I can live w/o the air pump but p/s is a must.
Plus they run the water pump so I need to do this the p/s is so loose it
doesn't turn and the air pump too tight to go on.  I see how the air pump
pivots, but it won't pivot.  Power steering I can hardly see the bracket.
TIA
Rob
PS don't tell me to look in the FSM w/o specific page references, because I
have found it annoyingly useless
----------------

Rob,

I just replaced all the belts on my 83.  As Dick B said, the info IS in the
manual.  The air pump has to be loosened by two bolts.  Mine was a real pain
to get loose, but you can do it.  The power steering is way down behind
everything.  Get a light down there and you'll find it.  REMEMBER the warning
in the manual.  DO NOT push on the power steering pump itself to position it.
 The housing will break.  Use caution and take your time.

If I can figure it out and do it anyone can!  In fact I think finding the
bolts and getting them loose was worst than wrangling the belts all around
the fan blades to get them on/off.   8-)

Dan Wing

83 Imp, beige barge
New Dayco belts, Autolite plugs, Mopar wires/cap,
Napa hoses, and flushed and filled with Prestone,
clean wire wheel covers, too!

Getting ready for Carlisle