1982 imperial acceleration and valve melting problems!!!!!

1982 imperial acceleration and valve melting problems!!!!!

I have a 1982 Imperial and i have a few problems.  First,  it has a problem
accelerating,  when its cold its okay,  when it warms up,  and you floor the
gas,  it takes a long time to get up to speed,  but if you press slowly its
better.   Also,  what is that valave that is attached to the air pump.  i
replaced it once and put another one on and it melted the same day.  Does my
imperial have two catalitic converters,  could one of them be clogged?
Could that be casuing both problems?