the Road to Labrador

Also on these hoses, the oil that is ran in the old system soaks into the
hoses and creates a very good seal that seals off the tiny holes that are a
part of the rubber hoses. I read an article in a magazine that stated that
if the A/C was used for a time with the old R12, it would seal the hoses
enough to use R134a without leakage. The problem comes when you buy a
replacement R12 type hose and use it with a R134a system, then you have
leaks. Of course if your hoses are deteriorated from engine heat, oil and
other contaminants, they will leak no matter what.
Brian