What to say and not to say on the IML: PLEASE READ

What to say and not to say on the IML: PLEASE READ

> The other day I was reprimanded for offering a part
> someone on the list needed.

      -Yes, that (private) reprimand was for your reply
offering the part to the person in front of the entire 500+
member list.

>That was requested by an IML'er. How could I be
> busted for that and yet unsolicited offers like this are
>made? What the hell is the deal?

OK folks, here's the deal:

The IML is a place for Imperial information only.

The Admin Dept can react to, but cannot control in advance
what people post to the IML.  We're counting on the common
sense and email manners of a constantly changing pool of
people for the good behavior that is called for by the
rules that are agreed to as condition of retaining the
privelege of membership here.

If you're selling something or buying something, it is not
an IML-appropriate subject unless you point people to the
classified ad section, where we have established an
Imperial-only selling area that lets you type in whatever
you want, but is an optional read.

IML general messages are not optional and take time to look
at and delete by over 500 members.  MAKE EACH MESSAGE
COUNT.

The Admin staff goes out of their way to take up issue with
people that post this sort of thing, but we do so offline,
as we did in reference to the original post above.

It is OK to solicit the List for a much needed part AFTER
you check all of the vendors and exhaust all options that
we have gone to great lengths to publish on our club
website.  It is better to ask the list WHERE one would get
such & such a part, as an answer to that FAQ? may well
benefit others and eliminate their having to ask everyone
too.

Replies should only go to the one person (off-list!) that
needs the answer, right?  Replying to the entire list about
one person's parts needs (and your particular solution) IS
a legitimate reason for getting an admin scolding (off
list, once again).  We in the admin dept do our work
individually & off-line because that's where it is best
handled without embarassing individuals in front of the
entire group.  Seem logical so far?

The Admin List does take action, even if it does not seem
obvious.  The rules are regularly posted, and we remind
people when they forget, boot them if they don't care.

If you have an !issue! with what is going on regarding
messages that you read on the IML, as the above message
does, please look to the footer of IML messages for a
hotlink to the Admin staff and write to us, not to the list
as this message did.  We are the people to ask, not the
other 500 listers that are now being obliged to read both
of these messages.

Please double check your messages and DO NOT address them
to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx unless it is something for
all 500+ of us.

Email is a way to quickly broadcast info.  Please do not be
too hasty to email messages that are in bad form, be they
solicitations, one-liners, or airing of dirty laundry or
other stuff that has no business going to all or most of
us.

-Kenyon Wills
On behalf of the OIC Admin Dept.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious