From: Jim Stacey
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 5:01 AM
Subject: RE: IML: brake lines fitting tool

Bill, regarding the suggestion below to use stainless steel brake lines....

I am slowly doing a DIY off-frame restoration of a '73 and would really like to replace the front brake line that goes from the left front wheel along the frame to the right front wheel with stainless steel tubing. When the car is back together it will be really difficult to replace this particular line the "next time" since it is buried under wheel wheels, radiator yoke, etc..

I did some internet searches and about all I came up with was FLEX lines that are stainless.  I did find one site that had some SS tubing type lines for RV's I think it was.  That site said that you had to buy factory-flared SS lines since ordinary flaring tools would not work on SS.  So, it looks like I can't just buy the tubing and do my own flaring as I had hoped.

Can you suggest where we could obtain different lengths of SS brake lines with the fittings on and ends flared?

Jim Stacey
'73 4drht in 1000 pieces
near Toronto