radiator rodded out

--- Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx wrote:
> a new thermostat installed. What I have found
> happening now is the
> temperature quickly climbs to 190 degrees, but stays
> there consistently,
> maybe rising to 200 degrees in street traffic. Does
> this sound about normal?

Assuming that the new thermostat is a 190 degree
thermostat, then yes, it sounds perfectly normal.  :)

It is absolutely normal for the temperature to rise a
bit in slow or stop-and-go traffic.  This is due
mainly to the difference in the volume of air flowing
over the radiator.  At highway speeds, the radiator is
cooled by the large volume of air pushed through it as
the car moves forward.  At speeds below about 40 mph,
however, it is dependent upon the amount of air pulled
through it by the fan, which is somewhat less.

If you find that the temperature rises more than about
10 or 15 degrees in slow driving, then you may have
other cooling system issues.  But it sounds like you
may have gotten things straightened out!

Cool!  ;o)

Imperially,

Elijah