gasoline

Jerry;
 I think that, in all honesty, that you would be wasting your money by buying lead additives or aviation gas. The compression ratio of your engine is the same as mine at 7.5:1. Given that, the minimum octane fuel that you can use, without pinging, would be roughly 75 octane. Since the bottom rate gas you can buy today is around 87 octane I don't think that you will have a problem.
 From what I understand the lack of lead will only cook the valves in a high compression engine running flat out. If your engine develops a valve problem it is likely more due to age and wear then because a valve burns, unless the carb is running too lean which will happen with or without the lead.
Your engine may need a valve job anyways if it has been sitting for twenty years as the valve stem seals will have dried out and moisture can cause some corrosion around the edges of the valves themselves.
Best Regards
arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim Parts.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 12:28 PM
Subject: IML: gasoline

Help!  I have heard that the lead substitute settles in the bottom of tank if not driven often.  I have also heard that you can buy low-lead higher octane fuel at local aviation places (must take approved container, do not put into car directly).   question...I have a 53 with 90k miles not driven for past 20 years.  should I add some low-lead higher octane every once in a while, is the lead helpful to valves, or should I not worry in blissful ignorance...or what.  How often?
many thanks
jerry 53 "baby doll"

got in trouble n told my fiance "baby-doll (babycakes) I love you!"  She knows the difference!