From: <alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 6:57 AM
Subject: IML: importing a 77 NYB

I need some advice regarding buying and importing a 77 NYB.  I saw it for
sale on the internet.  It has all the features I want.

I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.  That's at the east end of Lake
Ontario, at the beginning of the St. Lawrence River.  The car is in Phoenix,
AZ, USA.

What is the best way for me to verify the condition of this car?  I plan to
call the owner in a couple of hours.  He's in a different time zone.  Must I
go all that way to view it or is there some way to get a good idea of
condition without making that long trip?

If I decide to purchase, what is the best way to get the car here?  Must I
go get it in person, or can I get it shipped?  What are the costs involved
and what pitfalls should I avoid?

What about renting a trailer and picking it up?  Is that feasible?

If I take public transit, so I can drive it back, what should I do in
advance to have it plated and insured for the trip back?

What kind of fees can I expect from Canada Customs?  Surely, some readers
are Canadian and have done this.  I'll call Canada Customs, for sure, but if
you have done it, let me know what the procedure is.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Is anybody on the list in Phoenix?

Alan Harper

http://mail2web.com/ .