window in convertible

Thank you, Ray, that is the information I was after.

I wasn't aware that the glass in the rear was a laminate.  I thought it was
only the front (windshield) glass.

My top is original.  At least, I'm about %99 sure it is, judging from the
stitching and the way it looks.  It's really in very good shape, only some of
the edges are frayed and a small area in the rear is coming loose.  This area
keeps growing, because everytime my top goes up or down it flexes.

Yo No El Smoko wrote:

> The glass is usually sewn in, you conceivably could replace the glass by
> cutting the stitching and putting in a new glass.  99 bucks for a rear
> window on a convertible is probably a whole lot cheaper than going through
> that.

This is what I would think.  That's why it surprised me when the guy said it
couldn't be done without "delaminating" the rear glass.  The zipper in my top
is great and works fine.

I agree with you, I love the glass.  First, it just looks better, because it's
flat & smooth, and second, it's totally clear, giving you great visibility out
the back.  I have seen so many yellowed & cracked plastic (Lexan?) rear windows
it's ridiculous.

Thanks again.