Never give up!

Hugh:

I am confident that the repair will get you to the cruise.  I bet that the
whole unit was pulling too much current and heating your starter button
wires too much.  A rebuilt one should do the trick. I can't believe that the
shop didn't have a 392 Hemi starter for your Imperial in stock!  The very
idea!  It should have been shelved alphabetically after Hudson but before
Packard :)
If I was a little closer I would gladly go over and help you put it on just
as I am sure anyone else on the list would that has a little mechanical
experience.  Can't wait to hear how it turns out and about all the fun you
have on the cruise.

Dave Knight