amperemeter reading (to Dick ?)

Hi,
As i speak of electrical devices as starter, i've another
question about the dash amperemeter (battery is fully charged).
On my car, with battery posts removed (or with "ignition switch
off") the amperemeter needle is not on the "0" mark but rather on
the "1/4" mark toward C(harge). Perhaps i've a little disturbed
the adjustement when i removed it but itsn't the question. So on
my car 1/4 = 0 = no current

- When the engine is running at iddle the needle goes a little
higher toward "C" (around 1/2) then at a determined speed (1000
to 1500 rpm)  goes back between 1/2 and 1/4.

- If i increase the engine speed ( or if i drive at 60 mph) the
needle is around 1/2 C or higher.

- If i put headlights "on" or wipers or heater blower or AC,  the
needle comes down 0 or a little toward D(ischarge), depending of
the electrical load and the speed of engine , i think it's
normal.

But why the needle is always higher than 1/4 (= 0) when i don't
use some electrical devices. Does that mean that the current goes
always from battery to generator ?

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible