Please Welcome a New Member Peter Cunniff

Please Welcome a New Member Peter Cunniff

New Subscriber(s): Peter Cunniff
Email Address is: cunniffs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Member Location: NE New Jersey

Car(s) owned: None

Self-Introduction: I am a dyed-in-the-wool dream machine American car guy
(born in 1955).  I learned to drive on a '69 300, which may
be part of my Mopar affinity.  But it's more than that.  I was a car maniac
back as far as I can remember.  I was shifting my father's three-on-the-tree
for him at five.  When my grandma showed up in (I think) a 63 Olds Super 88
that had a pedal parking brake, I sat in the car and just set it and
released it, set it and released it (No, I'm not autistic!). I also actually
cried because our 58 Ford wagon only had the old-style handle brake.  But
even back when I was still in the single-digit ages, when a car came through
the driveway that really set my blood pounding, it was almost always Mopar
(this was the Exner era).  I particularly remember the dashboards that
TOTALLY were Buck Rogers flights of fantasy, and the translucent steering
wheels with metalflake suspended inside.  And, of course, the push-button
TorqueFlite, which practically necessiated a change in underwear on my part!
When I stumbled upon your website and started spending time looking at each
year, my first reaction to the 60's fins was "Yuck -- trying too hard.  Big
hair, too much makeup!"  But I have completely changed my opinion (the
metamorphosis only took a few days!)  I now would say that the '60 is the
most perfectly "Exner-esque" expression of Exner's magical approach to car
design, which I would describe as, "If it's possible to get sheet metal to
do it, let's do it!"  I really like the '60 now! I'm not really a current
prospect for purchasing one.  I have the money, but
not the garage space. What's more, although I used to own a pair of '68
Caddys as daily drivers for my wife and myself (one a convertible), I've
been "clean" for years!