Rear main seal

  From: Don Savard <res03r3f@xxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Rear main seal
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:45:48 -0700

 >Hi all,
 >Read the section in the Imperial club section on rear main seals. It
>did not mention if you could update a 64 413 2 piece seal to a full
>circle rear main seal. Is that do-able?
>Thanks
>Don Savard
___________________________
Hi Don,

  I just lQQked over the Rear Main Seal article. I see that someting I wrote
a long time ago about seals and bearing play is in there. Kewl.
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Engine/seal.htm

  The seal you are describing is not "do-able". The reason being is because
the flange where the torque converters flexplate bolts to,is of a much
larger diameter than the journal(bearing surface) that the seal rides
against.

  If the seal was made one-piece like a rubber-band...then stretched over
the end of the crankshaft and postioned on the journal...then the retaining
cap tightened down..?  Possibly someone can invent this. But I doubt it
would be as fail-safe as the original design installed correctly.

  Why do you ask? Is your seal leaking?

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr <--orig seal,no leaks.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV <--if it does leak,there is lots of room to work.