vinyl tops/ need help

I'm with Mark on preserving originality and period details (or re-creating
the effect to the extent possible). While the textured roofs of the 50s are
very cool, they belong on the cars which offered them new. Restore, don't
remodel, I say!  :)

The black vinyl top on my '72 Charger is original, and it's in remarkably
good shape (that means the car still wins trophies) despite the car's
lifelong history as a Southern California car. And this is not a car that
never saw the sun... the dash pad and top of the rear seat proved that.)
With proper care, they can last a very long time (and there are numerous
products with UV-protectants in them now).

Thankfully the silver elk-grain formal vinyl roof on my '78 NYB Salon is
original, too, since I cannot imagine where I'd find enough metallic silver
elks to skin for its replacement. The vinyl boars who died for my Charger's
roof seem much more plentiful.

And as for having a qualified shop do it, absolutely! But ask to see some of
their work, and I also endorse painting the roof before affixing the new
vinyl. No need to cut costs now like the factory did... you're not building
thousands of them!

Chris in LA
67 Crown (factory slicktop/pinstripe delete car)
78 NYB Salon