Spotters Guide

Hola

There are three items to look for when pondering if you have a regular engine
dressed up or the real thing.  All 375 hp 440 engines came with dual snorkle
air cleaners,  Exhaust manifolds that curve upward before dumping down-ward
and the power steering pump has a larger diam pulley with spokes.

As the last thirty years have passed since MoPar issued the 375 hp engine
many people have cloned the engine.  The one item that gets over looked is
the power steering pump.  Either they can not find or they do not know of the
differance.  Or the original wore out and a regular ( power robbing ) pump
was replaced.

As the word got around the 375 and 390 hp 6 pak exhaust manifolds became a
looked for item 'cause the installment would mean a 3 hp and a 5 lb torque
gain over the regular 350 hp OEM exhaust manifolds, on top of the gain that a
owner may have by going to dual exhaust.  ( The same manifolds are on the hot
335 hp 383's ).

The last thing to check is the VIN.  If you have a 1966 or 1967 the letter
"J"  = 440 and the letter "K" = spec order.  For 1968 and newer the letter
"K"  = 440;  "L" = 440 high perf and "M" = spec order.

If you ever get to look at our 63 or 66 Le Baron you will see the dual
snorkle air cleaner housing's , the hp exhaust manifolds and the large diam
power steering pumps and valve covers with the word I-M-P-E-R-I-A-L and the
VIN code states "J".

                                                Rodger & Gabby