R406

> very good results with R406. It is sold under
> different brand names but
> because it is a blend of
> different refrigerants. I have not tried it yet but

Blended refrigerants bring with them their own special
problems.  While R406 may be an excellent refrigerant,
if the system has even a small leak (as many old
systems do) the diffferent components of R406 will
leak out at different rates.  Thus, you will never
know exactly what is in your system, and cooling
efectiveness may vary.  This bothers me.

The oil compatibility issue definitely looks
attractive though, and I echo your sentiments about
cleaning the condensor.  Also:  clean the leaves and
other crap out of the cowl area- this will improve
both heater and A/C performance.

Is R406 made up of HCFC's?  It can't be a CFC, as
those were phased out back in the 90's...there is one
other type and I can't think of it off the top of my head...

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

My girlfriend left me
My trusty Imperial