One year! (and counting..)

It seems hard to believe it was one year ago
(actually, a little more, I just realized) that I
dragged home this fading, squeaking, leaking, barely
rolling monstrosity that I now call "Silver".  My 4
door hardtop '67 has been in my care since last April
1, and I dare say it's the first time in its 35 year
existence that it has had an owner who has more than
maintained it.  Both previous owners were elderly; I'm
24.  (23 when I bought it)

5000 miles later, I look back on a checkered first
year.  The breaks set me back a grand and then some,
and left me with a very bad taste in my mouth,
initially.  Cornering lenses were scarce, and the
engine developped a habit of developping some
mechanical malady when I was *just* far enough from
home to make a tow expensive.

Its been a learning experience.  With the help of this
list, I've been able to adapt Supra rotors to the
front discs, worked out the issues with the Holley
(rebuilt it myself, runs pretty well now), dual-ed the
exhausts, made a gasping lurch into 1970's technology
with the electronic ignition conversion, and even
managed to stabilize the dry-rotting interior to the
point where the leather *almost* feels supple again.

Sure, to the naked eye the car looks about the same.
The paint still looks like a nasty case of skin cancer
(tho, no real rust to speak of- a bonus for a Northern
Boy like myself used to cars dying of rot in 15 years)
and the chrome is still very much in need of help.

But, mechanically, I would go so far to say that the
Imperial is at least up to snuff.  I've taken it on
numerous trips to Upstate NY and NJ, and those 400 or
500 mile trips each way have proven to be relatively
comfortable, incident free miles.

I guess I would just like to say thank you, to
everyone here. I won't even begin to name names since
I'm sure every one of you has helped me in some way.
Were it not for this list I'm sure I would not have
anywhere near the sucess in repairing my Imperial, in
fact, I might have even given up by now.  But I plan
to forge ahead; new projects await on the horizon.

Happy Imperialing!

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

My girlfriend left me