Tip of the Day -- Door Carpet Restoration

Tip of the Day -- Door Carpet Restoration

Hi Everyone,

Once in a blue moon, I stumble across a solution to a
car problem that's astoundingly simple.  Rare, but it
happens.  :o)

So here's my tip o' the day:

Tired of those dirty, worn, faded door panel carpets?
Here's the simple solution: Rit Liquid Dye.

I replaced the dark blue carpet in my '71 LeBaron last
year, and the new carpet looks great.  But the carpet
inserts in the door panels still looked like 30+ year
old faded carpet.  Having those inserts replaced with
new carpet was an option, but would have been costly
and time consuming.

So instead, I spent about half an hour today with a
spray bottle of Rit Liquid Dye.  I took a small carpet
sample to Wal Mart to select the color closest to what
I needed (happened to be Denim Blue).  The dye was
about $2.00, and the spray bottle was about $1.00.

I simply mixed the dye according to the instructions
on the bottle (hot water and some salt, basically),
taped off the carpet inserts to prevent overspray on
the door panels, and sprayed away!  I also had a stiff
nylon brush to work the dye into the carpet.

The results look great.  I'm amazed at how easy this
was.

It also works great on those faded seat belts!

Imperially,

Elijah