Good news/bad news

Douglas,
CC: Imperial Mailing List

> Hello Hugh. How are things in your life? I am finally an employed man
again.
> I not only have a job, but one that is in my field of study. That's the
good
> news.

Glad to hear it, sir.  Now, get your butt back on the list, ya hear me?

> The bad news deals with Priscilla. Her engine is stuck bad. Me and my
> dad will be pulling it out probably this week. A friend of his is letting
us
> use a corner of his garage to work on it. For now it looks like there's no
> way out of a ring job. I'm learning a lot about cars from Priscilla. I've
> been matching all her hardware at the auto parts store. I want her engine
detail.
> I also plan to have the Torqueflite rebuilt. I bought this tube bending
tool
> to make new brake and transmission lines. I will photo-document all this
as
> it goes along. Let me know if you want to put the pictures of Priscilla's
> resurrection on your website. Bye for now, take care Hugh
>
>                                               Doug

Hmm, we may be comparing pictures.  if not, I shall be following your
fortunes avidly as I anticipate an engine-ectomy myself, and for the same
reasons - a ring job.  I should have done mine last year, but I was too
intimidated.  With that experience behind me, I feel confident thet if I
have to yank the engine, it is something I can handle.  The transmission on
mine could stand to be rebuilt, too.

My engine is not stuck, but its had its share of trauma and ill use, and
now, to quote Dimitrios, it is leaving a 200 foot con trail when I'm driving
along.  Kind of impressive, in a nasty kind of way.  Good old Dimitrios came
up with a variety of scenarios, but it is not the valves.  Both they, and
their seats, are all new.  A friend has suggested some seeming snake oil,
high mileage engine oil, and, just to get me through the remaining month or
so of the car season in Texas, which is very brief due to the long, hot,
summer, I will probably try it.  The car is blowing blue smoke from the blow
by valve, and also from the oil filler cap.  I was fooling with it's timing
yesterday, to no great effect, and after only a few minutes or so, the cap,
which has that tight wire mesh around the top was smoking again.  Not a good
sign.  Sigh.  I dont have a good engine hoist, but everything in it's own
time.  Dare say I'll be replacing stuff too, like motor mounts, etc.

Hugh
"Until further notice, celebrate everything!"