Sole Car/Daily Driver Problems

I'd like to throw in a little about the 59:  My sole automobile has been a
1971 Chrysler I've had since 1994 (original to family, I've known it, driven
it, serviced it for a lot longer than I was/am its owner).  At title
transfer, the car had 78,000 miles, was rust-free after a life in Arizona,
Colorado and southwest Texas.  Still had many original parts underhood one
would expect to have been replaced, and everything worked albeit with
increasing difficulty that age, not mileage, had affected.  As I was living
in apartments until three years ago (and for many years previous with another
car) I can state unequivocally that having a place to take it apart for more
than a few hours is NECESSARY.  I've known others for whom their old car is a
second or third automobile, and the necessity of getting it ready just to run
to the grocery store or to work is alleviated when one runs into the
INEVITABLE "can't fix it just now" because of:  faulty parts, unforeseen
deterioration which demands attention, not having the right tools, simply
bungling the job, etcetera.  I like to kid my wife that she married me to
have someone to snuggle on the couch with and keep her toes warm at night,
without a doubt (wink) I married her for having a garage big enough to build
a bench, store tools and parts, AND (most importantly) a lockable workplace
where I could take apart the entire front end/driveshaft/rear axle to replace
every wearing part, clean and paint after careful inspection, determine
future jobs, and generally just take my time.  I didn't (and don't ) have the
income to hire out this work.  My two cents worth is to rent a place to do
this, get you a little parts chaser you don't have to do anything to beyond
scheduled maintenance, and figure it'll take you two to three years (and
15-grand) to rebuild, paint, etc, everything on that 59 to make it into a
safer, reliable daily driver. But face the fact that it'll never not need
something done to it.  Even if you replace every single inch of wiring in
every single component.  That's just the way it is.  (And I for one love the
fact of a 59 regularly prowling the streets, it is an excellent goal.)  Best
of luck

Ross