'73 Radio removal

Removing anything under the dash on a 72-73 is a real pain but it can be done.

1- Get a good flashlight that will stand up by itself.

2- Put on some good safety glasses as 'stuff' will fall down in you eyes.

3- Open the passenger door and move both seats as far back as possible

4- Remove the AC duct that goes from the center plenum directly below the radio to the drivers side.  There are two phillips screws one on each end of the 3' long plastic piece.  The left side drops down and you can then pull it out.

5- Remove the flex hose from the right side of the plenum.  It slips off like a dryer vent.

6- Remove 5 - 5/16 screws that hold the AC plenum in.  There are three on the bottom and one at the upper corner of each side.  The upper ones are a bear to get to.  It takes a stubby nutdriver or a 1/4 ratchet with a short extension.

7- As soon as you get the plenum out, you can see and get to the radio and the clock.

I did this last week to put a switch on my 'ticking' chronometer so I could disconnect it when I wasn't 'showing' it.  The chronometers were made here in Huntsville and my friend Ray worked there at the time.  There were tons of customer complaints and he says he's pretty sure someone got fired over them.

Good Luck

Kerryp

  randy martin <publicservant1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello everyone!
Can someone tell me how to get the radio out of my '73 LeBaron?  I want to get the 8 track player working.  A well-intentioned friend of mine told to just take out the speedo cluster- LOL- a big help he was since I can't figure out how to do that!  By the way, I was able to get brand new window motors from my local NAPA store for $60 each. They work perfect.  As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Randy
'73 LeBaron 4dr HT

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Greetings - send greetings for Easter, Passover