My bulbs won't stay on!

I have finally been able to get a new bulb put in my '59 left front turn signal, and the rear licensee plate light, and after feeling much accomplishment of getting my huge fingers to do this job, and see the lights working again, I got out of the car tonight to check them only to find they are both out again. I put another bulb in the front turn light, and was happy it was working again, but when I checked later it was out again also. When I removed the bulb, everything looked fine, I could see no broken filaments. Could this be a short, and why are they working when I put them in, and not later? Bill '59 Crown