Optimistic fuel gage

This sounds like the float. I've had this problem on several of my cars. On a
63 Imp, it would go to full with just a few gallons of gas & never go to empty.
I've had a couple of others that the needle keeps moving all over the gauge.
This item is a bit costly to replace these days. I've seen adds in Hemmings on
rebuilding these. I've also seen a friend take a couple of these & clean the
contacts & replace the float if it was leaking & they worked well.
John