Sending unit sollutions?

 Seriously, I remember some posts a while ago which said Toyota, or one of the other Japanese cars makes a float that works. Any serious ideas? Bill '59 Crown

Bill:
    Ford make a float that fits.  If the website is back up check the archives for "Ford Float" and I believe you will find it.  If not e-mail me off the list and I will find it for you.  With that said I don't believe your problem is the float.

Start by taking the wire loose at the tank.  With the wire disconnected the gauge should read "E".  Ground the wire momentarily and the gauge should go up to or past "F".  If you can have someone in the car to watch it so that you don't have to leave the wire grounded for very long as gauge damage can result.  If the gauge does not respond or doesn't respond correctly then your problem is either in the gauge or the wiring.  If it does respond then you have a sending unit problem.

Where the gas line connects to the tank there is a small section of rubber hose between the line on the body and the sending unit.  There needs to be a metal clip bridging this piece of rubber hose.  If it is not there and making good connection you will have a poor/erratic ground on your sending unit.  The way yours is acting I suspect that this clip could be the problem.

                    Steve B.