Design Issues

Bill,

I don't push the bellows back on my '59s and one of the cars has a vacuum
tank and cruise servo in the way.  Some cars have a metal cannister
booster and if so you gotta work around it.  The procedure below works
for me without helpers.  Slow and frustrating at first but after a few
times I got a feel for it and now it takes me a few minutes...

1) Get a bright flashlight.  Put the car in a garage or do it outdoors at
dusk or nighttime so the ambient light doesn't wash out the light from
your flashlight -- all you want to see is the m.c.
2) Use an open end wrench to loosen the m.c. cover bolt.  This is pretty
much all done by feel.  Once the bolt loosens and is moving freely, I put
my hands around the sides of  the booster and use my middle fingers to
turn the bolt the rest of the way out.
3) Shine your flashlight on the reservoir.  You might have to sprawl
across the fender to see the m.c.  You should be able to see the fluid if
it's not real low.   You can use a finger as a dipstick to check the
level too.
4)  To fill, I use an old turkey baster tube with a 6" length of 1/4"
clear hose at the end as a funnel.  Put the tip in the m.c. reservoir and
use a couple of rubber bands to hold it place and steady.  Use a small
bottle of fluid and pour in a little at a time and check level often 'til
you get about 1/4" from top.
5)  Put the cap back on.  Fiddle with bolt and you will feel it drop in
place then you can tighten it with you fingers and a bit more with a
wrench.  FIN.

John B.

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:58:48 EST Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx writes:
While I am on design flaws, does anyone know how to
> check your
> brake fluid level in a '59, without having to have two people pull
> back on
> the bellows, while another takes the cap off. I've been wanting to
> check mine
> for 2 weeks now, and it is a very crucial time for my brakes, and
> the fluid
> should be checked quite often. Unfortunately I don't have two people
> to help
> me with this operation, and don't feel like paying my mechanic
> $80.00 per
> hour to check my brake fluid level.
> Bill '59 Crown

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!