design integrity

Everyone who is a car lover almost always will do something to customize their car to their tastes. My best example is the Ruffalo 1959 Convertible, which is the most beautiful '59 restoration I have seen. I have not been privileged to see this car up close and personal, so I have no idea what is under the hood etc. What I can see in photos however are some elements which do not belong on the '59, such as the hood ornament, wire wheel hubcaps, and an Imperial script nameplate on the trunk, and I doubt that anyone would criticize this beautiful example of a '59 for so called Imperial purity, and this is a true show car. The only thing I would change on it if I were the owner would be to remove the hood ornament which is something associated with an earlier date. I like the sporty, but classy look of the wire wheels, and I also like the Imperial script on the trunk, which is probably something I will eventually put on mine since I have two of them sitting o n my kitchen counter. I would not classify the Ruffalo as a custom, because of the few things the owner liked, and wanted to use on his car. I see it as more of an enhancement. As cars become more fuel efficient and smaller who knows what the future will bring. In another 40 years after we, who know and love these old Imperials, are gone, they might not even fit on the streets, and will all be relegated to museums or worse. God knows, I have not found a parking lot which will accommodate my '59 safely. I think we should all be glad for those of us  who have taken these fabulous cars, and are keeping them on the streets in any manner we can. We are all from various financial backgrounds, but we all love our cars and are making an effort to keep them going. For me, I am not in this for resale value, since I'm not selling, but rather enjoying my car! Bill '59 Crown