Modifications

My 2 won for the modification thread (knew it would
come up again),

I'm probably guilty of being of one of the biggest
modifiers of an Imperial in the club.  I have
endeavoured to stick to a strategy with the
modifications: enhance reliability and durability,
improve economy and performance, reduce weight, long
term ownership expense and keep the appearance and
personality Imperial and the engineering Mopar

My car has been undergoing an engine rebuild since
last July and is practically complete.  Except for a
nagging carburetor problem, the car is ready to drive
away.  The mechanic who has bestowed a labor of love
on my 413 after building some 700 engines in his
lifetime, tells me it smokes the rear wheels!  It
should also get better mileage.  Thousands of
enthusiastics have worked and learned about this
engine in it's 40+ years of production.  Why shouldn't
I profit from it.  The rebuild had to happen anyway,
but it's still the original 413 under the hood plus
some more horses thanks to a MOPAR cam and a major
rework for a little more money.  Fits my strategy.

Would I replace the hemi in a '56 with an RB block?
Never!  Too far off the mark!  The switch from the
hemis to the RB block in 1960 was a cost saving
measure at Chrysler Corp., not an engineering
improvement!  I could have been tempted to put a 392
where the 413 was under my hood at the right price,
but it simply wasn't an option.

When my torqueflite crapped out two years ago I
rebuilt it with a B&M kit.  I couldn't be happier with
the results.  The 727 shifts crisper and has given me
no problems in the two years since.  The cost
difference was minimal.

Over a period of time I went from the original single
master cylinder to a dual circuit Mopar Performance MC
pushing silicon fluid.  Brake problems gone.  For me,
a single circuit brake system is just plain scary on a
car this heavy.  The factory seems to agree with me
because you won't find one an Imp from the '70's on.

Replaced the starter with a bearing loaded model for a
'93 Concord and haven't had to touch it in 9 years.
Draws less juice, starts every time and allows me to
use a smaller battery.

Popped a gratis '74 Fury's radiator under the hood
when it became evident fixing the original would be
prohibitively expensive .  As a side benefit,
everything up front is more accessible now and the car
runs cooler.  Strangely enough the newer radiator is a
perfect match to the forward bulkhead's air opening.

I never intended my Crown to be a show car, but a
daily driver wherever I may be for the long haul and
except for the time extended time necessary for the
engine and transmission rebuild's she has done her job
well.

The only change in her outward appearance is the
substitution of a '79 LeBaron hood ornament and
hubcaps instead of the originals to deter vandalism.
I'm not trying to change my Crown's identity, just
keep her on the road.

I try to store the original parts when practical.
Sure, I've probably degraded her resale value, but I
don't plan to sell her anyway, ever!  She's my labor
of love.  Hope you number match guys can forgive me.

Just my 2 won.

Steve in Korea

a long way from anything!