detecting exhaust leaks

tell the difference
> between a clicking lifter and an exhaust leak from a
> cracked exhaust manifold?

For mine, the exhaust guy had on gloves and ran his hands
around the manifolds/pipe mating joints.  When he felt
airflow, he had found the leak via the pulsing exhaust
leaking out.  This was while I was in the car holding it at
3k RPM.

Leak on mine was at the pipe/manifold joining flange.

Not a good technique if the crack is on the underside of
the manifold next to the block, but that's not the stressed
area, for the most part, and I think the metal's thicker
there, anyway.

Gloves used were finely knit (cotton, wool?) and may have
been specific to welding, but not air-proof rubber or
something like that.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious