440 fuel pump reinstall also 413

To aid in reinstalling the fuel pump, pull out the pump
rod and coat it with wheel bearing grease.  There is a
plug just below the pump opening which will allow you to
remove the rod.  You may be able to reach in and put the
grease on the rod without removing it. When you push the
rod back up in place, it will stay put long enough to
let you put the pump in place.

If you do remove the rod, examine it carefully to make
sure it hasn't worn.  When we put the 413 back together
in my 300L, I had to replace several "failed" fuel pumps
until we discovered that the rod had worn and thus was
too short to make the stroke.

I know this could all be taken the wrong way in a
different context--just keep your minds out of the
gutter......:)

Cheers,
Roger