'67 gas tank stuck

Help!  The pickup tube inside my gas tank has become clogged with crud.  I
would guess that he screen or filter on the end is plugged up tight.  I
attempted to drop the tank this weekend, but only managed to move one of
the strap bolts one half inch in 3 hours.  The other one is fused on tight.
Any hints as to how to get this tank off?  Is it advisable to cut the
straps and find replacements.... or should I just keep working on the strap
bolts?